As I think of the future, my goal is to create some type of in person Epicurean philosophy group. Ideally this would take place at an "Epicurean Church" which would come into existence after a core group of people become dedicated toward making that a reality. Otherwise it will be a weekly meet-up type group, which would be held at coffeehouses or other public places.
I see a way to teach "mini-courses" which address common everyday issues, using and pointing back to wise sayings of the Principle Doctrines/Vatican Sayings, Diogenes Laertius book 10 regarding the wise man, and Cicero's Torquatus presentation on Epicurean teachings.
The mini-courses would be on such topics as the following:
1) Increasing daily pleasure
2) Reducing fear and worry
3) Eliminating superstitious thinking
4) Friendship 101 (could be a much longer course)
5) Choice and avoidance in decision making
6) Cultivating joy and the the attitude of savoring
7) Healthy diet and exercise for long-term self-sufficency
8 ) Dealing with death and mourning
9) Kepos - developing, maintaining, and enhancing community well-being (could be a much longer course)
10) Modern science and the scientific process
11) Living ethically
12) Enjoying nature
13) Ancient Epicurean canonics and epistemology
14) Ancient Epicurean physics
15) Study of ancient Epicurean texts (could be an on-going course)
16) Epicurean book study groups (on-going)
17) Party planning committee - information sharing festivals, annual symposium, weekly potlucks, monthy 20th celebration, and other planning (on-going)
If anyone has any other ideas, comments, or questions, please share.
Also, if anyone would like to help create this and feels that their city would be a good place for an "Epicurean Church", then please let me know, since I am looking to relocate to any place that is more likely to support a real kepos. We would start with meet-ups and then see where we can go from there.