One project I would like to see us tackle for 2022 is to have a weekly video Zoom meeting for our regulars here at the forum. Let's use this thread to brainstorm the possibilities:
- Day and Time. At times in the past when this has been discussed, I think the consensus tends toward a weekday evening, probably Sunday through Thursday nights, and probably no later than about 8:30 or 9:00 East Coast USA time so that our friends on the West Coast have a reasonable late-afternoon / early-evening hour. Tentatively I would suggest Tuesdays at 8:30 for no reason in particular. Please let us know your suggestions for alternate dates and times.
- Participants. I think the consensus is that we would like to use this to introduce new members into the group and talk about initial questions about the philosophy, so I suggest that we make the existence of the group public, but that we require some level of participation on the forum before invitations are extended. Conversations on the forum (and on Facebook) are visible to the public, so there's plenty of opportunity for people who solely want to lurk to participate in writing, and anyone interested enough in participating in a zoom meeting ought to be willing to say so on the forum so as to be sent an invitation.
- Video / Sound. Unless someone has a special reason lets strongly urge each participant to use video, but not necessarily real names unless the participant prefers that on an individual basis.
- Agenda / topics. We want to devote some time to questions and open discussion, but we don't want every session to turn into a general "bull" session. We can use the Principal Doctrines and Vatican Sayings as an initial topic list for at least some part of each meeting. It would also be good to ask participants to bring up for discussion any Epicurean books or materials that they are currently reading for discussion. And most of all I would like to see us devote time to what we are doing online (primarily in EpicureanFriends makes sense, of course) so we can coordinate our online activity there and in other locations. So that we are always focused on Epicurean philosophy, in general it would be best for discussion of books written by non-Epicurean writers to be limited to times when it's clear we have extra time on the zoom meeting. It also probably makes sense to have a time limit for the meetings, probably not much longer than an hour.
- Moderators. If we go to weekly there are likely to be times when I cannot be present myself, though I hope that will be rare. For that reason we probably ought to have a moderation "panel" to lead the discussion in the event I am away (and this is a good idea even if I am present - we could rotate among panel discussion leaders from week to week but keep things on track by having a pre-planned agenda.)
- Name: Maybe someone has something more creative than "The Weekly EpicureanFriends Zoom Meeting."
- First Event: First week of January 2022.
- Expectations: We have to expect that for the first weeks and even months we will have only a few people, but I suspect that over time we'll find that a certain segment of people on EpicureanFriends and even from the Facebook group will become regulars who prefer Zoom to posting in written form.