Vatican Saying 52 - Happiness or Blessedness?

• Don - can you help out with translation of this one (my eyes go cross-eyed when I look at Greek letters). This translation is from Peter Saint Andre. (Do we already have this someplace else?)

52. Friendship dances around the world, announcing to each of us that we must awaken to happiness. ἡ φιλία περιχορεύει τὴν οἰκουμένην κηρύττουσα δὴ πᾶσιν ἡμῖν ἐγείρεσθαι ἐπὶ τὸν μακαρισμόν.

Should the last word be translated as "blessedness"?

• See also

Don
  • Kalosyni

Changed the title of the thread from “Every Instance of "Ataraxia," "Eudaemonia," and "Tranquilatas" in a Core Epicurean Text” to “Vatican Saying 52 - Happiness or Blessedness?”.
  • I found this at a translation website, but the last two letters of the word look different than in the above ancient Greek (in post 1 above)

μακαρισμός ὁ, pronouncing happy, blessing, Pl. R. 591d, Arist. Rh. 1367b33, Andronic. Pass. p. 570 M., Plu. 2.471c ; giving praise or thanks, Epicur. Sent.Vat. 52, Phld. D. 3 Fr. 86a.

Source:

Eulexis-web
    Eulexis-web (version en ligne du logiciel Eulexis) permet de lemmatiser ou fléchir un texte en grec ancien et de rechercher dans des dictionnaires de grec…
    outils.biblissima.fr

This was the original translation site and it gave me four options and I just chose the first site which I posted link above.

• I run into "happiness" most often as a translation of EYΔAIMONIA, whereas "blessedness" tends to be reserved for MAKAPION. However, they are intrinsically related Epicurean philosophy and both can imply the goal of pleasure.

• Here's a pertinent excerpt from my letter to Menoikeus translation:

• Some other words:

φιλία (philia)

affectionate regard, friendship, usu. betw. equals

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, φι^λί-α

περιχορεύει (perikhoreuei)

To dance (χορεύει) around in a circle (περί)

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, περιχορ-εύω

I like the connotation that the word has of dancing in a group, in a dramatic or religious chorus of dancers, not in a solitary way.

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, χορός

οἰκουμένην (oikoumenēn)

the inhabited world, particularly that known to the ancient Greeks: (sub-polar) Europe, (western) Asia, and (northern and Saharan) Africa

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, οἰκουμέν-η

κηρύττουσα (kēruttousa)

Attic form of κηρῠ́σσω (kērússō)

• To be a herald or auctioneer
    • To make a proclamation as herald
    • (transitive) To summon by herald
    • (transitive) To proclaim, announce
    • (transitive) To command someone publicly to do something (with infinitive or dative of thing)
    • (New Testament) To preach the gospel

δή • (dḗ) (discourse particle) + πᾶσιν

• Adds temporal specificity: now, already
    • Adds emphasis: truly, !, indeed, in truth
    • Adds specificity: exactly
    • Sometimes ironical: no doubt, of course
    • With pronouns: of all people
    • + πᾶσιν "to all, every, each"

ἐγείρεσθαι (egeiresthai)

present mediopassive infinitive of ἐγείρω (egeírō)

rouse or stir oneself, be excited by passion, etc.,

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, ἐγείρω