This is a thread to discuss the interelationships between "syllogistic reasoning" and "canonical reasoning."
At this point the main suggestion I have for textual material is:
- - DeWitt's Epicurus and His Philosophy
- Chapter 7 - The Canon, Reason, and Nature
- Chapter 8 - Sensations, Anticipations, and Feelings
- DeWitt's "Epicurus on Immediate Presentations"
- 2 - DeLacy's Appendix to Philodemus' On Methods of Inference:
- Sources of Epicurean Empiricism
- Development of Epicurean Logic and Methodology
- Logical Controversies of Stoics, Epicureans, and Skeptics
This page from the DeLacy material has always stuck in my memory as setting forth the issues most clearly:
Remember that this is Delacy's opinion about Epicurus, but here is a significant part of it!