Request For Assistance -- Public Domain Graphics!

• As much as I love the picture of Pericles giving his oration (used in my nearby graphic of PD5), that one is probably already overused, and I really need a new source of public-domain pictures from the Greco-Roman period. (Other imagery that works as well is also good, but much of the public domain stuff is going to be "classical.)

I use Wikimedia as one source, but I am sure that there are many books on google docs or other online sources which have good illustrations and are now in the public domain. For example, I've personally seen that many older texts on Latin and Greek grammar frequently have good illustrations. If anyone knows of examples of such sources we could use for future graphics I would appreciate your posting links here so we can meme away without fear of copyright issues down the road.

• Hi Cassius,

I'm willing to contribute good illustrations, graphics and media. However, we've come along way from Rome/Ancient Greece. The long gone Roman era, especially, is not one I'm exactly feeling a sense of nostalgia or longing for.

Also, I think it can be alienating for global Epicureans. I think it's a bit out of sync with our times and also it's important to remember how one need not embrace Rome in order to practise philosophy and specifically to embrace Epicurean philosophy. The garden is open and accommodates all.

Perhaps, our community focused too much and for too long on Roman revival and symbology, which very few, if any, have an attachment to today. I mean, we have a lot of cultural inheritance and I'm not utterly writing them off, I just think it's time we make new progress by owning our narrative with more light on us and today.

I'll show you what I have in store shortly, This forum and community will be the first to see, that I can happily guarantee.

Joy to the World!

• That's great Oscar! Thanks for any suggestions you have! I definitely want to attack these issues from as many perspectives as possible.

• More than suggestions, I'll produce some quality work and distribute it freely here, with the aim to please:) for that is the only end I know

Joy to the World!

• Oh one more comment there: Obviously there are many facets to Epicurean philosophy, but one that is most personal to me is its conflict with Judeo/Christianity, which in my view is one of the main forces of ruination in the world. That conflict came into being in the Greco/Roman period, and the question of "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem" will always be for me a key to unwinding the controversy.

• Oscar I take it that you are implying that you are an artist yourself. I am very much looking forward to seeing what you produce!

• Oh one more comment there: Obviously there are many facets to Epicurean philosophy, but one that is most personal to me is its conflict with Judeo/Christianity, which in my view is one of the main forces of ruination in the world. That conflict came into being in the Greco/Roman period, and the question of "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem" will always be for me a key to unwinding the controversy.

Not denying any of that Cassius, you're totally right about that. We can't ignore or forget that.

Joy to the World!

• Oscar I take it that you are implying that you are an artist yourself.

Art is a human endeavour, one I will not refrain from pursuing. For me, art is no different than love, irresistible!

Joy to the World!

• Not denying any of that Cassius, you're totally right about that. We can't ignore or forget that.

I think one of the major conclusions of Epicurean philosophy, based as it is on atomism and the absence of a central directing force, that there will be many individual interpretations of pleasure and that we make a serious mistake if we think that "one size fits all" in pleasure, and therefore in any ethical question. Of course we take this knowledge and apply it and realize that since everyone is not the same, we have to deal with others accordingly, and organize our lives around friends rather than strangers/enemies, etc. The implications are deep and very foreign to those of us brought up in a universalist / christian environment, and there is much to explore.

• Yes, I also now think to how different pleasure might be perceived in other worlds in the universe, if life isn't limited to Earth. But even here, we're so diverse, and yet as Victor Borge (a quote on Epicurism.info) so eloquently said "laughter is the closest distance between two people."

I hope our community does move away from an eternal conflict with other world religions and instead focuses on itself and its own development and advancement, all the while having a good time doing just that.

From Rumi, for example, I learned "the cure for pain is in the pain. Good and bad are mixed, if you don't have both, you don't belong with us."

Hence, I do see the value of learning the history and making new connections to our past but ultimately since we cannot change the past I think it's true the only thing we can change is our attitude towards it. With pleasure.

Joy to the World!