Mythological Discussions - Greek mythology and other myths compared and analyzed

• Under the Physics heading I started a thread with a link to Hesiod’s Theogony. I thought it might be fun to explore the myths that make up the old Hellenic religion and how they relate to other Near Eastern Myths.

As much as I love philosophy, I also love the myths and how they are historically significant in shaping culture and religion.

This can dovetail into why perhaps Epicurus viewed the gods the way he did.

• On Venus:

http://societyofepicurus.com/v…phy-in-wisdom-traditions/

Also, while doing research for this month's 20th message, I came across the myth of Varaha, who is an avatar (a divine incarnation) of Vishnu in Hinduism in the form of a Cosmic Boar or Pig. In the myth, Varaha takes an incarnation in order to save the Earth from a demon who is tyrannizing her. In the end, Varaha heroically kills the demon and restores the Earth to safety. It is interesting to me that the pig in the West is seen as the embodiment of Epicurean philosophy, which is materialistic and a steadfast affirmation of the value and reality of matter, of bodies, and of this world, while in India this boar is the protector and savior of the Mother Earth, of matter, also. Varaha beautifully mythologizes the role of Epicurean philosophy in defending the value and dignity of, and giving meaning to, this world. The story is told here.

"Please always remember my doctrines!" - Epicurus' last words

• In reference to Venus/Aphrodite, it’s interesting that certain goddesses across cultures became associated with erotic love. The best example of a goddess that epitomizes erotic love and fertility and even war is Inanna/Ishtar. She’s like a cross between Greek, Roman and Hindu equivalents. Both the goddess of erotic love and fertility and a hostile war goddess.

The one thing I learned from Gilgamesh is to never reject a goddess’s advances. Or you’ll get the bull of heaven sent after you.😀

• Laughing Democritus

Changed the title of the thread from “Mythical Side Conversation” to “Mythological Discussions - Greek mythology and other myths compared and analyzed”.