Two Musical Treats - Don, and the Epicureans

• in the Episode of the Lucretius podcast to be released today you'll hear a very short sample of Don singing. Pretty good actually, but why do I mention it?

By sheer coincidence I see today an article that there was a regional rock and roll band in 1966 in Iowa named - "The Epicureans"!

Linked below is the song and an article - the song is actually pretty good, if you like that genre (as I do).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Newspaper article

https://http://www.fairmontsentinel.com/news/local-news/2021/08/14/epicureans-to-be-honored-in-iowa/

• Cassius

Changed the title of the thread from “Musical Treats - Don, and the Epicureans” to “Two Musical Treats - Don, and the Epicureans”.
  • I hope I haven't mixed episodes in my mind -- it might be 82 rather than 83 that is released today where you sing a brief "tone" to emphasize where Lucretius says he "sings" of things!

• Looks like "the Epicureans" had a second song on Youtube, so this may be their full collection:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Nope there is apparently one more -- a little different from the first two:

External Content www.youtube.com

• My late grandmother wrote a letter–something like 14 pages of fine cursive—toward the end of her life to one of my many cousins for a school project.

It is the only extant "memoir" in my family that I am aware of for that period, and is full of historical interest in a parochial kind of way. A copy of the letter did not fall into my hands until it began to recirculate after her death.

It was in reading that letter that I first became aware of a particular feature of interest of that time period, dotting the landscape of the upper midwest; the ballroom venue.

It was during a tour of these venues (the "Winter Dance Party Tour") that Buddy Holly's plane crashed after his last performance at a ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. The family farm, which another cousin now runs, is less than hour from that very venue.

So thanks for posting these! My family on both sides were living in the northern counties of Central Iowa at the time; out of 30-odd aunts and uncles, someone must have seen The Epicureans play.