Names Applied to the Epicureans by Themselves Or Others

• I am trying to come up with a list of names which were applied to the Epicureans either by themselves or others. So far I have:

1. The Garden
    2. The Twentiers (or some variation referring to the 20th
    3. Hogs In Epicurus' herd (from Horace)
    4. ..."The joyous choir" (on the funeral inscription, noted below
    5. Epicurus himself was referred to as "The Garghettian" by Cicero so maybe they also applied that to the group.

Are you aware of any others?

Cites:

20ers -

Joyous Choir

https://newepicurean.com/keepi…iving-and-alive-with-joy/

Hog in the Epicurean Herd -- Horace letter to Tibulus

• Related but not quite the same; in the Rabbinic literature of the time "Apikoros (אפיקורוס)" was the word for heretic or infidel.

St. Augustine; "fit only for swine".

• I'm thinking of an Epicurean heavy metal band:

The Heretics

Debut album: "Fit Only For Swine"

:)

(Apparently there is already a band called the Heretics. No surprise there.)

• I need to check back in DeWitt to see how he documents the "Twentiers" comment, and whether that is more Cicero or from another source.

Horace's "herd" and the funeral inscription "choic" are both clearly by Epicureans, but could perhaps be "tongue in cheek."

I am not sure that I am aware of Lucretius or anyone who was clearly an Epicurean using the term "Garden" and I wonder if that is also a term applied by outsiders, perhaps just because it is somewhat parallel to place names like Stoa and Peripatetic and Academy.

So as part of this discussion it would be interesting to see if we could clearly document a name that the Epicureans called themselves. I need to check Lucian...

Horace's "herd" and the funeral inscription "choic" are both clearly by Epicureans, but could perhaps be "tongue in cheek."

"Epicuri De Grege Porcum" is a lovely Latin self-description ;)

As for Garden;

"[...] they shall place the garden and all that pertain to it at the disposal of Hermarchus [...]" -Last Will, via Diogenes Laertius