This is an old revision of the document!
Elli's Post 11/7/18:
If I understand correctly, Cassius is suggesting that we set up a real series of programs so that people can listen to the stream as if listening to a radio. That means:
1) Live or recorded discussions among new and old Epicureans on issues, such as question answer sessions, and in parallel, suggestions of books and articles to people who wish to know about EP.
2) Reading excerpts of the surviving sources, such as Epicurus's letters, Lucretius's DRN, Philodemus' Papyri from Herculaneum, Diogenis of Oinoanda's inscription, etc. with the voices of real people.
3) Reading articles and excerpts of the books by the modern-day Epicurean friends with the voices of real people, such as with the voice of the author him/herself.
4) Playing melodies and music of artists who would like to make known their artistic works. For example I hear a lot of instrumental artistic works that are a real pleasure to hear and would appeal to a wide variety of people.
5) Playing a theatrical work based on Epicurean philosophy. For example we have a very didactical theatrical play by an Epicurean friend in Thessaloniki that can be translated into english (with his permission), and can be read by real persons that could chose a role in the performance. I remember theatrical playings of a program as I listened to the radio when was a little girl in my country. Something that is lost and be replaced by news, news, news, or political discussions without end, among journalists (and as I call them parrots). :)
6) Announcing the events of other Epicureans that live around the world. For example, when our friends of the garden in Australia would have a meeting, and if they like to connect online in the radio, to exchange some thoughts with them; or if they would like to announce some events that they will hold in Australia.
7) Announcing news of the dates and programs of the Greek Gardens for their events in Athens and Thessaloniki, such as the yearly Symposia, and then giving us English language reports and news after those events, by reading those reports by real persons. If the Greek friends want to make programs in Greek they can do that too. For example there are many greek persons around the world who like to hear how the situation is going in Greece, and we can have discussions of that, perhaps in both Greek with immediate English translations. The same can be with our Epicurean friends who live in Australia too, or the same could be for any future Epicurean garden that would be established somewhere else.
8) Discussions / suggestions among real Epicurean persons and how Epicurean philosophy is becoming known or how it could become more known to the people in their societies.
9) Some narrations of real stories and experiences by real persons on the application of Epicurean Philosophy based on friendship, and how Epicurean Philosophy has benefited them to understand more clearly some of the issues in their lives, and how Epicurean Philosophy led them to the goal of pleasure.
But for this to be a success, all the above projects need real people who will offer themselves and their time to others for participation in a vivid reality - We already spend a lot of time at Facebook writing comments to each other. In my view there is no one person to devote a huge effort for the preparation of a short reading of a surviving source, or a discussion of Epicurean issues among friends. Τhe more people who will participate the easier it will be for everyone. Participation as a team makes the difference for the success of any effort.
Finally, if I understand correctly, our friend Cassius will back the funding of getting this radio station off the ground, as quality software and computer space for the radio station is not free. Cassius is not asking for money to set this up, he is just asking our friendship and our help - our time for helping create a real swerve in the popularizing of Epicurean philosophy.
Since we are living so far from each other, as a way to become closer to each other we can use our own voices to build through internet radio a way to bring our friends into our own homes at any time of day, effectively a media of our own that will help bring us new friends and in a small way a better society too.
Please let me know your thoughts!