About this event
Come join us and expand your circle of friends with those who are also interested in the philosophy of Epicurus. This will be an hour long opportunity to meet new friends while enjoying fun and engaging conversations on Epicurean principles and practical living.
This is a new Zoom-based online "live" discussion group running on Wednesday evenings, starting Wednesday, May 11th, and this is your invitation to participate. The group is being sponsored by several regular participants of both the Epicurean Philosophy Facebook Group and the EpicureanFriends.com forum.
Some of those who will be joining will be using the full video call features of Zoom, and others will be using voice only, so the use of video is optional.
Attendance is free and is available to all who consider themselves to be supporters of Epicurean philosophy. Please register beforehand using the Eventbrite "ticket" registration system. This event platform will be integrated into our Zoom meetings system to streamline our online meeting facilitation. You may use your real name and email, or an anonymous username/email depending on your preference.
- Our objective is to provide friendly, supportive, and encouraging discussion among friends who are generally supportive of the philosophy of Epicurus. This is not a professional academic philosophy group for debate of philosophies or viewpoints that are not consistent with Epicurean philosophy. We also have a "no-politics" rule, so please do not bring up political issues of any kind. We are also unable to address clinical depression or emotional disorders. Our participants are not experts in any field, and all conversations are understood to be friendly and informal exchanges of opinions.
- We expect participants to conduct themselves in a friendly manner. Participation does not express or imply that you agree with every tenet of Epicurean philosophy, but the purpose of the group is to study and discuss Epicurean philosophy. Please do not attempt to use the group for the promotion of religious, political, or philosophical viewpoints that are not consistent with Epicurean philosophy. Those who fail to follow this rule and violate it repeatedly lose participation privileges.
- Communications in the group are confidential and are not to be recorded or repeated outside the group. The group is based in the United States and will not allow or promote any conduct that is illegal under the laws of the United States. We cannot guarantee the privacy of any communications, but to the extent that we determine that conversations have been recorded or re-posted outside the group, or the privacy of any participant has been invaded, violators will lose future participation privileges.
Registration is Required
We hope for new participants on a regular basis, so we ask that everyone "register" either by replying here at EpicureanFriends, or at Eventbrite, so we will recognize your user name when you enter the Zoom Waiting Room. The event is - of course - free of charge. Link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/8367…4aVZaNml3cVJsS3VMcDQ0QT09
We plan to go for an hour each evening, and we have been discussing various formats that we may fine-tune or change over time. Each week, however, will follow essentially this format:
(1) Welcome: We'll go "around the table" and give an opportunity for each participant to introduce themselves as they wish, including a one or two sentence reference to previous background or level of interest in Epicurus.
(2) Focus for the Week: Each week we will take one or more of the Principal Doctrines (and when we finish those, proceed to the Vatican List of Sayings) and we will have someone read the saying followed by commentary by a couple of our regulars to set the stage for further discussion. We'll then open the floor to comments by other participants (and depending on the number of attendees, use the "raise hand" method and/or the text chat to raise an issue).
Here is a link to the Principle Doctrines: https://www.epicureanfriends.c….php?principal-doctrines/
-- Special Focus on First Wednesday of the Month - Questions from the Floor - Bring your questions on any topic related to Epicurus that you wish. Depending on the number of questions, we will either use the entire hour, or proceed with discussing a Principle Doctrine (or Vatican Saying).
(3) Closing Wrap-Up - The Program coordinators will thank those who have participated and make concluding comments about what has been discussed, and what we can expect for the following week, and how people can communicate and coordinate their study of Epicurean philosophy in the meantime.
Questions or Comments?
- Please let us know if you have any questions or comments by posting them in the thread where you originally saw this meeting announcement.
(Photo credits: "Carsoli Epicurus" by diffendale is marked with CC BY-NC-SA 2.0. "A corner of my back garden" by scrappy annie is marked with CC BY-NC 2.0. "File:The statue of a lively, leaping pig. Engraving by I. Frezza. Wellcome V0021683.jpg" is marked with CC BY 4.0.)
Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 836 7168 0287
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,83671680287#,,,,*497652# US (Chicago)
+16468769923,,83671680287#,,,,*497652# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 836 7168 0287
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kUkoJnwA1