What's Everyone Up To? (Epicurean-wise, that is.)

• As for me I go through periods of greater or lesser distraction away from my Epicurean work, so I like to hear about what others might be doing. I know michelepinto is working on a translation into Italian of "A Few Days In Athens," as well as on his own book of a somewhat similar nature.

And I know Hiram is working on a "Twentiers" project which will offer some Epicurean objects for sale.

Anyone else have any Epicurean projects going on that aren't ready to launch, but not too early to talk about?

• Cassius

Changed the title of the thread from “What's Everyone Up To?” to “What's Everyone Up To? (Epicurean-wise, that is.)”.
  • There's a podcast in the works. That's Oscar's project, but he's very busy learning the ropes.

"Please always remember my doctrines!" - Epicurus' last words

• I'm working for the firs Epicurean Festival in Senigallia 30-31 August 1 September 2019.

It will be GREAT!
    The filosopher Roberto Radice will came to speak about Epicurus, and there will many events. I'll realese the program in few days.

You simply can not miss it.

• LOL -- I am afraid I not only can but will miss it, unless I get some cheap tickets to Italy! ;-) Michele we will be counting on you for some photographic / video recordings of the event! :-)

• I've just stumbled across this new book, released today on Amazon, the pleasure principle by catherine wilson.

Thoughts or heard anything about it?

I've listened to a podcast of her on philosophy bites and she is very good so I'll be keen to read this.

• Thanks Samj! Is this brand new / Just released?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-B…rine-Wilson/dp/0008291691 --->

"In our troubled world, looking back to ancient wisdom can shed light on fresh solutions.

For years, many of us have upheld the Stoic belief in ‘no pain, no gain.’ But when the pace of modern life and the demands of jobs and family overwhelm us, punishing exercise regimes, productivity apps and early morning starts may not be the best solution.

According to the pleasure-centric philosophy of Epicureanism, life can be good without great sacrifice. By consciously practicing ‘choice and avoidance’ – by being strategic about our recreational, professional and familial pursuits – we can live with less fear and regret. By understanding our place in a world that came about by chance, we can gain greater perspective on our role within it and where our priorities should lie.

No honest philosopher can give you a formula for happiness, but in The Pleasure Principle, Professor Catherine Wilson explores how Epicureanism can provide a framework for thinking about life’s key issues, including family, death, politics, religion, wealth, science, and love."

-------------------------------------------------

She is certainly well qualified to do good work. I've read her "Epicureanism at Origin of Modernity."

I don't consider myself a huge fan because I personally find her slant to Stoic, and I also don't like the word "chance" in the blurb. But I've not found her version of Epicurus among the **most** pro-Stoic, and I would look forward to reading it.

Note this from the table of contents:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I wonder how this book relates to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-B…rofessor+Catherine+Wilson

• In addition to a few items which are too early to write about, I am digging through my old notes from a lecture course on statistical physics in preparation for my mini essay on quantum uncertainty and life, which has been pending already for more than a year. To give this more priority, I postponed reading Harris Dimitriadis' book until after my time-out. Nevertheless, progress is slow because the lion share of the time-out goes to pleasure and preparations for future pleasure, and also because getting deep into theoretical physics is quite tough for me.

• Nevertheless, progress is slow because the lion share of the time-out goes to pleasure and preparations for future pleasure, and also because getting deep into theoretical physics is quite tough for me.

1 - Philosophy itself is supposed to be pleasurable!! ;-)

2 - Then maybe theoretical physics has a problem, and maybe that interest should be redirected elsewhere, along the pattern of Polyeanus! :-)

• Both philosophy and theoretical physics are the kind of activities for which great pleasure comes after the pain of sorting things out. This is what I mean with preparations for future pleasure. Some of those preps are tough but the pleasure gained with each success or at least a lesson learned is worth the pain.

• Teaching my sons the beauty of nature. Helping them to see that the idealized or Platonic world of their peers is all fantasy.

Principle Doctrines, the Four Part Remedy, Lucretius, and Thus Purred Catius Cat is the curriculum.