Invitation to The Twentieth Zoom Meeeting For April 20 - This Wednesday at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

• Thanks to Kalosyni for this neat graphic! She has also graciously provided a short reading of the opening of Book One of Lucretius that I think everyone will enjoy.

This invitation is open to everyone here at EpicureanFriends.com who would like to join us. One day before long we will probably open the invitation to a wider scope, such as announcing it on the Facebook Epicurean page, but for now we're posting it only here. If you know someone who might be interested and would like to "bring them" to the zoom meeting, feel free but please let us know.

At the present we don't have any other significant presentations besides the reading by Kalosyni, but we have been discussing a number of very deep topics in many threads over the last month. Therefore please feel free to bring your questions and comments, or even suggest something you'd like to see us have a discussion about, in the thread below.

• Kalosyni brought up boxwood this evening and although I wasn't able to find it's wreath symbolism I did find this:

Boxwood in Classical Times – The Greeks by Mark V Braimbridge – EBTS UK

And here's the podcast/video I referenced:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

PS: mea culpa. The wreath bit actually came from this video from the Learn Ancient Greek series at 22:40 on the word στέφανος (stephanos "wreath, garland, crown"):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks to everyone attended and especially to Kalosyni for her reading from Lucretius, to Isychos for his visit, and to our regulars.

The reading provided a good basis for discussion and probably serves as a good example for a format to follow in the future.

• Thanks Don for the above video link, and reference. I went to the suggested segment of the video, and it was said that wreaths were very important in ancient Greece as they were given as awards in olympic games rather than money, and were worn during religious ceremonies. The type of leaves were symbolic to specific associated gods/goddesses, and it mentions bay laurel, parsley, and ivy.

I found article which explains the significance of boxwood:

In ancient Greece it was dedicated to Hades or Pluto the god of the underworld, and to Venus or Aphrodite the goddess of love. It was associated with Cybele the mother goddess, a symbol of fertility and regeneration.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/…dex-by-plant-name/boxwood

• The reading provided a good basis for discussion and probably serves as a good example for a format to follow in the future.

For future 20th celebrations, if anyone has a short "devotional" type of Epicurean reading that they want to do, either to read it live or to pre-record yourself reading -- thinking we can have anyone who wants to do so -- or if you feel that you have a suggestion for a particular reading. Let me know about a week beforehand, and I can create visual graphics for the presentation (or if you want to include visuals yourself that would be great).

• Thank you all for welcoming me, I hope to attend again in the future. I quite enjoyed engaging with you in this way and feel there is so much more I can learn from these discussions.