Naming Question

• I'm pretty sure you have no relation w Epicurus Today blog (https://epicurus.today/). There might be copyright issues with the name? Maybe not ... just thinking out loud.

"Please always remember my doctrines!" - Epicurus' last words

• I'm pretty sure you have no relation w Epicurus Today blog (https://epicurus.today/). There might be copyright issues with the name? Maybe not ... just thinking out loud.

I know Robert Hanrott fairly well and we email back and forth in addition to being added to his family email list, he's very reasonable and agreeable, if this is necessary I can bring it up with him.

“If the joys found in nature are crimes, then man’s pleasure and happiness is to be criminal.”

• i'd have to go back and check the history, but I already own Epicurustoday.com and have held that longer than his website has existed under that name - as I recall he had another name for his blog previously and changed it to that rather recently. I am subject to being corrected on that, but it's an interesting point. I consider it a generic name anyway and I feel sure that he does not hold a copyright or would assert such a claim, as we already have that situation. Now if he already had a podcast by that name I might think otherwise, but as far as I know he does not.

• Of course if that was something that concerned him and he asked me to name it something else i would certainly consider it, but he didn't contact me when he renamed his website Epicurustoday even though I have had Epicurustoday.com registered for many years previously, so I would be surprised if he felt this was an issue now.

• My memory as to when Robert Hanrott changed his name to Epicurus.today is somewhat better - he just did that in 2017, and it appears he did not do the name change until at least January of 2018.

• I know Robert Hanrott fairly well and we email back and forth in addition to being added to his family email list, he's very reasonable and agreeable, if this is necessary I can bring it up with him.

Charles feel free to bring it up with him if you like, but that's up to you and I don't plan to contact him myself. He and I have had a pleasant enough though distant and very infrequent relationship for the 10 years or so that we've both been blogging about Epicurus. We go in different directions without any public disagreement with each other as far as I know. And like I said, I didn't state any issue to him when he changed his name to Epicurus today and registered the epicurus.today domain name, even though I was already operating under Epicurustoday.com and had held the domain name for many years. So I would be surprised if he saw any issue with my calling a podcast Epicurus today since he doesn't currently have a podcast by that name.

I am thinking that Hiram just asked the question here out of a sense of being cautious, since he is a regular collaborator with Robert, rather than hearing from Robert that he has an issue. Since Robert didn't contact me about any potential confusion when he changed his website to a website name I already held, and I didn't register any issue with him, I wouldn't imagine a podcast name would be an issue for him now. I think we're all just fans of Epicurus doing the best we can to promote the philosophy and all wish each other well on our own paths.

EDIT: This appears to be his previous name probably used up to 2017

Edit2 - Your question got me interested in the history. I don't know that the Wayback Machine at archive.org is accurate, because I think there was a website present at epicurustoday.com before that, but even using the Wayback dates, my website opened in its current format on 12/11/17. The Wayback machine shows that at least several days later, probably up to 2/9/18, Robert was still using "The Epicurus Blog" as his name.

• NOTE: I moved this discussion into a new thread since it is not relevant to the agenda issue.

• I am thinking that Hiram just asked the question here out of a sense of being cautious, since he is a regular collaborator with Robert, rather than hearing from Robert that he has an issue.

I haven't talked to him in years actually. I tried to get him to link his content to the Epicurean sources and explain how it connected to the doctrine, but he does not accept parrhesia.

"Please always remember my doctrines!" - Epicurus' last words

• Thanks for that correction Hiram. Well, I wish Robert well, and I presume he does the same for us on our separate paths.